Skip to main content

Natural Awakenings of the Coastal Carolinas

Historic Wilmington Foundation Moves to New Headquarters

The (Historic Wilmington Foundation (HWF) has relocated their headquarters Orange Street in historic downtown Wilmington. Beth Rutledge, HWF’s executive director, comments, “211 Orange is an opportunity to help us deepen our roots as we grow our branches. And it is fitting for us to be right behind the Latimer House, where HWF’s story began 54 years ago as a spin-off of the Lower Cape Fear Historical Society.”

After nine years as tenants of the former caretaker’s cottage in the National Cem-etery at 2011 
Market Street, HWF has purchased for its headquarters a two-story Queen Anne built in 1912 and commemorated with a plaque as the William E. Worth House.

HWF has been located in several buildings since the organization began as an offshoot of the Lower Cape Fear Historical Society in 1966. It operated out of the Dudley Mansion; in the basement of the DeRosset house (City Club); and at the manse at St. Andrews (now the Brooklyn Arts Center), among others.

HWF’s mission is to preserve and protect the irreplaceable in Wilmington and the Lower Cape Fear region. The nonprofit’s initiatives include the Azalea Festival Home Tour, scholarships for high school students through the Impact of Preservation speech contest, Florence Fix-It Grants, workshops at Legacy Architectural Salvage, Tar Heels Go Walking tours for third-graders and the historic plaque program.

For more information about the organization, call 910-762-2511 or visit HistoricWilmington.org.

Upcoming Events Near You

 

Join our Digital Newsletter List Keep Connected to the Community!

 

 

Healthy Living Coastal Carolinas Natural Awakenings FB Feed
Global Brief Video